HOW TO APPLY FOR MEO CLASS II EXAM IN MMD MUMBAI
Well, congratulations first of all for being ready and available to do your class II. It is a great achievement.
Before we get into class II application let us learn some important and useful things regarding class II exams and current scenario in MMDs.
Well what is master checker? It is nothing but a link that is given under every seaman profile in E-Governance which shows the courses you have done, sea time uploaded by your employer. All your sailing experience after year 2012 should have been updated on DG server by respective shipping company you have sailed. It is the responsibility of employer and institutions to update the dates from and to you have sailed or done a course.
Master checker is a simple way for the MMD to quickly check all your details by clicking that link. SO MAKE SURE ALL THE REQUIRED COURSES MENTIONED BELOW AND SEA TIME DETAILS ALL ARE REFLECTED ON YOUR MASTER CHECKER LINK.
When you open the link, ” Update Seafarer Profile” it opens up a page where in the header menu section as shown below you can see “Master Checker” in Yellow colour with a “New” banner flashing. Click on master checker where all your details like Pre-sea, Post-sea, Modular courses, Sea service details etc are arranged in tabs click on each tab to gain access to each respectively.
List of courses to be done.
- 4-month preparatory course as per STCW2010.
- Engine Room Simulator course as per STCW2010.
- All modular courses refresher as per STCW 2010.
– Refresher FPFF.
– Refresher PSCRB
– Refresher MFA
– Refresher AFF
– Ship security officer course
Sea time requirement
1. Make sure you have completed 12 months (30 days a month) sea time. The same can be checked in master checker.
2. Twelve months or more sea time shall be completed in a company with RPSL. Which means the company you have sailed shall have a valid RPSL for the time you have sailed and they should have updated your sign on / Sign off details on the DG server using their login details provided by DG to your company.
Please Note: Companies have 3 month time to update any date. After which the DG server doesn’t accept it, Post 3 months they will start having troubles with sea time update. Most of the stable companies don’t have this issue as they have a dedicated team who take care of this but small companies and New companies always run into such trouble.
My sea time details are not shown under master checker.
Well , you are in a little bit of a trouble here….But, This is completely solvable situation, no need to panic. Now you have to contact the company you sailed with and ask them to update your sea time details. Considering that, the company still has a valid RPSL which means they still have access to the DG server if not it is of a problem to you. Now, you will contact your company to email DG & your MMD from authorized email id explaining why they couldn’t update the sea time and an alternative way to prove your sea time.
In my case I have had the same issue, my company emailed DG surveyor that they have failed to update sea time in a timely manner and apologized and also requested DG to consider this as a one-time mistake and wouldn’t happen again.
DG replied to company and MMD mumbai in CC to accept a letter from company letter head mentioning all my sea time and signed by authorized signatory from my company.
I got this letter from company and gave it to Mumbai MMD. The MMD office person asked me to talk to surveyor……The surveyor in Mumbai MMD is not readily accepting until I produced the email communication from my company to DG and then DG to my company and finally the letter ………then the surveyor accepts it half hearted………
well, I still feel it is mistake of the shipping companies and the way DG mandate this process to companies, don’t know why a candidate should run around for a company’s mistake.
WELL NOW THAT YOU HAVE ALL DETAILS READY GO TO MASTER CHECKER AND ENSURE ALL THE ABOVE SAID CORSES AND SEATIME ARE REFLECTED THERE. AFTER U CONFIRM THIS, NOW ITS TIME TO GET INTO ACTION.
COURSE OF ACTION
1.Update your profile on DG website -SPECIALLY pre sea course, COC details, Preparatory course details, Modular course details, ERSM, vessel Exp etc..
Note: IT IS NOW REQUIRED THAT YOU UPLOAD A SCANNED IMAGE OF YOUR SIGNATURE AND A PASSPORT SIZE PICTURE IN SEAMAN PROFILE.
- Keep photocopies of all above mentioned certificates, Sea time testimonials all copies to be self attested.
- Get 4 Nos of passport size photograph. No specification on the photo is required. Normal passport size photo is enough.
- Company letter mentioning the sea time details in their letter head signed by authorized signatory.
Note: The sign is cross checked with a file in MMD which contains authorized signatories signs. Which means you company would have sent a letter to MMD stating that the following are the authorized signatories of the company and their sign would be there in the letter.
- Get your medicals done in ILO FORMAT. You can get it from BP ACADEMY for Rs.400 with 2 years’ validity. Near DG also you can get it done for much lesser price. ILO FORMAT has some three pages.
- Now LOOK FOR MMD MUMBAI WEBSITE for dates announcement for the particular month. The excel file tells the date for fresher’s booking. Well, booking is done online but for fresher’s the initial assement has to be done and approved by MMD surveyor.
APPLYING IN MMD
Now you have got all of the above mentioned items ready! Well I should say you have completed 10% of your class II license part. Now time to go to MMD on the specified day in the excel file mentioned above.
Note: Reach MMD on booking date as early as possible and write your name in the paper list. I believe this is for the queue, but when I did, this list was not followed. We followed the seating order inside the hall.
Items to carry to MMD
- Black Pen
- Punching machine
- A working debit / credit card with OTP mobile for online payment.
SEQUENCE OF ACTION IN MMD:
1.At 0930 hrs you may be allowed to sit in the exam hall.
- One of the MMD office staff will come issue checklist and explain the procedure. Note : Most of them speak Marathi or Hindi. If you are like me from south have a translating friend who can translate it for you.
- Here is the checklist. Take a printout before you go and prepare documents in the same order as mentioned in the checklist.
- First thing to do is your Part ‘A’ exemption and then class II assessment. The staff will ask you to pay the assessment fee online.
- You can do this in your smartphone, but make sure you have Firefox installed, as other browsers are not accepted.
- Otherwise go to any XEROX center near mmd and you can get it done there.
– In fact they seem to make things simpler for a small service fee. Just give your INDOS and password to pay for your part ‘A’ assement (Rs.3000).
– Mostly all Debit , credit & online Banking payment accepted. Just keep a working Credit / Debit card with OTP mobile handy.
– Mangalam & Sheetal xerox seem to having experience staffs and offer faster service.
- Once you pay the fees you may generate and print your Form 15. You need to collect the fees receipt and form 15 print out from there.
- Now buy a blue colored File / Folder from the same shop. Punch all your documents required by the checklist and attach it to the file. First your Form 15, then payment slip, then checklist. Then all your photo copies of certificates as per check list.
- Go to MMd the staff will ask to fill some details in Form 15. Use black pen. Fill in all those details
Note : MMD staff will ask u to fill ur EXN 45. 2 photos to stick in EXN 45 & 2 IN FORM- 15.
- Double check everything is in order, Keep all your original documents ready. You may be asked to show your CDC, PASSPORT, PREPARATORY COURSE, ERSM, ALL REFRESHER COURSE, SSO /STSD.
- Now the staff will check and count your sea time and matching dates with your company letter and sea service testimonial. (So check all dates are matching and arrange them accordingly)
- As I, said earlier your master checker shall reflect all your dates. if it does display properly you are too good. If not, you will be asked by the MMD staff that the respective company or institute to updates dates and come back after its done.
Note: Since you have something pending you will still be allowed to come back later after completing the missing tasks and continue your application process even though the dates for applying for that month is crossed. ! People like you are the ones who delay the time table for Oral being release!
- Once he is happy, then he will ask u to go for exam booking. Go to same Xerox center, tell them you have come for your CL2 EXAM PAYMENT. They will book papers online, make sure they do not select STEAM PAPERS, if u r doing for MOTOR. Totally you will select ten subjects.
- Now time for payment then as usual Card or any mode of payment explained above… (3000+24000 INR 3000 for part ‘B’ assessment. – Yes Indian government needs to make money from sailors like you J
- Take print of that receipt. Charges for this service is like Rs.70-100
- Submit the documents to the person who did ur assessment. He will check your payment details & he will allow ur ADMIT CARD to generate.
- You can now make a note that receipt number and fill it on your FORM-15. Then he will ask you to go to surveyor with ur file. Surveyor may check anything he needs so be ready to show him that he wants. Now he will sign on ur photo & other pages.
- Go back to the same Xerox shop and take a print out of your admit card. This is kind of a proof that you have been accepted to sit for your class II exams.
- Congratulations you have completed the hardest part of Class II licensing process. I would say 20% of the license part is done.
Well, That’s it now the application procedure is complete. You can tap on your back or Have a beer to celebrate the completion of, one of the most difficult step.